The Ewing Green Team (EGT) is an appointed board and is composed of a group of concerned Ewing residents dedicated to building a sustainable community in Ewing Township. [Current Board]. The Board is appointed for 3 year terms by the Mayor and Ewing Twp. Administration and they work in concert to achieve lasting change in Ewing.
The Team meets monthly on the 4th Wednesdays.
Time: 6:30 – 8:30 pm
Location: Ewing Senior and Community Center, 999 Lower Ferry Road, Ewing, NJ 08628
The Team was established in 2009 by municipal resolution Sustainable Ewing Resolution under the auspices of the Ewing Environmental Commission and was co-chaired by John Hoegl and Peter Boughton.
In 2013 Ewing received a BRONZE level certification from Sustainable Jersey.
In 2016 Ewing earned re-certification from Sustainable Jersey at the SILVER level. In addition, they received a Sustainability Champion award for the municipality earning the greatest number of points (460) in the medium sized category (from population 5,000 – 39,999).
The Ewing Green Team envisions a Ewing Township that incorporates sustainability into the actions and decision-making processes of community members and municipal offices. Ewing will be a community that leads in efforts to:
- create and maintain sustainable ways of living;
- build strong and diverse economic opportunities; and
- cultivate a community that welcomes people from all walks of life.
To achieve our vision, the Ewing Green Team will:
Respectfully engage with and respond to the needs of community members to raise awareness of the many issues related to sustainability. Lead, educate, and empower the community to create together paths to a sustainable future. Improve the quality of life in Ewing and our surrounding communities for this and future generations through education, cooperation, and action.
EGT Strategic Sustainability Plan
The final plan released at the conclusion of our community visioning in 2015.
Following its first Bronze Level certification from Sustainable Jersey in 2013, the EGT felt that it was important to take stock of where they stood before moving forward. They wanted to: (1) build on Ewing’s success and sustainability momentum, (2) increase their capacity as a Green Team, (3) engage more citizens in sustainability activities, and (4) solicit community input & incorporate it into future sustainability planning. The goal was to develop a community-based vision for the sustainable future of Ewing for 5, 10, and more years down the road.
In 2014 a community visioning process was conducted to solicit citizen input. A Strategic Sustainability Plan was released after the conclusion of the process. EGT members, along with interested residents, are now hard at work to create the Ewing of the Future from the tasks identified during this process. See current initiatives below.
- Neighborhoods – identify, map, and create neighborhood associations.
- Welcome Center – create a welcoming committee and center
- Volunteer Network – build network of volunteers based on Ewing’s neighborhood associations.
Waste and Recycling
- Waste Education – educate and provide updated 3R information. See the new Ewing Township Recycling Info Depot at http://ewingrecycles.org for a Ewing centric, with added information from within Mercer County, recycling hub.
- Compost and Food Waste Education
- Community Free Cycle
- Preserve, protect and enhance the local tree canopy in Ewing
- Develop, improve, and map a Bike/Pedestrian trail network
- Street & Sidewalk Improvements
- Celebrate Ewing’s rich history with heritage tours of historic sites
- Sustainable Recognition for Businesses
- Arts and Culture Inventory
- Create a Sustainability Hero program
- Support Local Business Program
- Create Vibrant Events for Businesses
- Create a Ewing Business Directory
- Create a Business Incubator Space
- Energy Education & Outreach Campaign for Residents
- Outreach Campaign for Local Businesses
- Home Performance with Energy Star for Twp.
- Home Energy Audit Program for Residents